Charlie Bear here.
Guess what happens the first part of every year? You got it . . . resolutions! Record numbers of humans sign up for Jenny Craig or Weight Watchers, or join a 24 Hour Fitness. They want to quit smoking, exercise more, lose weight. And that’s all really good stuff. In fact, every year I make a resolution to lose a little weight, and to become a better dog.
Here’s how I work on it:
- Start with small steps. Puppy steps, if you will. Define your goal. My goal is to maintain my weight of 20 lbs. It’s tough, cause I like treats.
- Be real. I’m not cutting out ALL treats. That would throw me into a tizzy (and I do enough spinning and twirling). No, I’m having Mom give me smaller treats at bedtime and when she likes to reward me. Instead of an entire Jerky Stick, I get half of one.
- Set a date/target. My goal is to lose half a pound in the first month. For me, that’s a big deal. Now Mom Peep…she’s different. She plans on losing 2 lbs. by the end of January, then another 3 in February.
- Share your resolution. Tried that in the past and hated when you failed? Yeah, me too. There’s this cute girlie dog at the park and I told her my goal last year. Then when I saw her again she said I still had a butterball butt. Not good. But here’s the thing. If you don’t tell anyone, then how can you be accountable? How about telling me? I won’t tell anyone else. Email me, your Charlie Bear fit-and-trim hunky dog, at email@example.com (Mom Peep reads all of my emails to me).
- Don’t quit. Even if you stumble and eat three Jerky Sticks in one night, don’t give up. Get right back into your program the next day. You’ll feel better about yourself if you do. Trust me.
- Ask for help. Finding it hard to stay out of the treat bag? Me too. So I ask Dad Peep to be kind and don’t overindulge me. It’s hard for him, but when I askk him to help me keep on track, he complies. Good human!
So there you have it. My way could just be your way to keep your New Year’s Resolutions!
Woofs and wiggles to you,
Charlie Bear the Rescue Dog
This column appears in:
Click on “newest release” and go to page 25 for my column. Woofs to you!